Pages

About Me

Mum of 2, suffering my own mental health issues, I began to write this blog as a way to release feelings and emotions. At 13 my daughter was terribly bullied which has led to her having serious mental health problems of her own. She is now 16. I wanted to document our journey and hopefully be able to look back and see how far we have come.

Saturday 5 May 2012

Sometimes you have to kick the door open

Friday 27th April started like any other.  Emily was no more anxious than normal.  She left for the school bus and I was at home about to leave for work.

My phone buzzed. Emily's messages were badly spelt and rushed, she was telling me that houses were moving.  Things had changed, things weren't right and people were watching her.

I dropped what I was doing, jumped in the car and went to her.  She was pale and scared, she sobbed in the car and it was obvious that she wasn't well enough to go to school.

I brought her back home calmed her as much as I could and got my Mum to sit with her.  My mind was racing, we needed help and we needed it now.  Waiting for a Mental Health Service referral was going to take too long.  It wasn't only Emily who was scared now.

I went upstairs and rang the Childrens Hospital.  I spoke to a Doctor in A&E, I explained the situation and asked if there was anything they could do to help.

40 mins later we sat in A&E.  We had to wait a while, but that was ok, I was grateful that they were prepared to see us and try and help.  Over the next 4 hours they gave her a thorough examination, urine and blood tests.  They ruled out any physical problem.  I'm guessing they were looking for a brain tumour, although they didn't say.  They did tell me they were checking her thyroid as apparently this can give similar symptoms.

I was a bit shocked when she was admitted.  I really didn't expect that.  They were trying to get the Mental Health team to see her, but there was no one available that day.  I guess they felt they couldn't discharge her until a proper diagnosis had been made.

She was upset at the thought of having to spend the night in hospital and I was totally unprepared.  My partner came straight from work and stayed with her while I went home to get clothes and supplies.  I cried on the bus home.  I felt like I'd had her committed. It was awful.  I was texting a kind friend who was telling me I'd done the right thing.  Whilst I knew she was right, it seemed so much bigger than me, out of my control now.

Neither of us slept that night.  We saw the Mental Health people the next day.  Emily promised that she wouldn't hurt herself if they let her go home.  She stated firmly that she felt safe at home.

The quick diagnosis from them was low mood, anxiety and post traumatic stress.  A urgent referral was to be made to the Community Team.  Until then, we just had to hold it together, but the door was now well and truely open.

No comments:

Post a Comment